Verizon Wireless Midwest Area Gets Techy With Google Hangouts
Challenge: Always looking for new and exciting ways to drive interest in Verizon products/services, Paul Ulreich of the Verizon Wireless Midwest Area (MWA) PR team looked to Identity to brainstorm creative ways to leverage his tech expertise to help people discover new technology and build upon influencer relationships.
Solution: To further expand upon Paul’s “Uber User” persona and tech expertise, Identity’s social media team came up with the idea of hosting monthly Google+ Hangouts centered on timely tech topics and new device launches. To put the idea in motion, Identity worked closely with Paul and the rest of the Verizon Wireless MWA PR team to identify Hangout themes, determine devices to showcase and engage bloggers throughout the MWA.
To stimulate positive word of mouth about the Hangouts through social media, Identity supplied participants with suggested tweets to share, using the #vzwmidwest hashtag. Identity also created a questionnaire for participants to complete prior to the Hangout. Not only did this document set bloggers’ expectations for the Hangout, it also provided Paul with valuable background information about each blogger’s interests, device knowledge and tech needs.
Outcome: Since officially hosting his first Google+ Hangout in May 2014, Paul has been able to add value to the Verizon MWA’s regional social media goals in the following ways:
- Established new relationships with various bloggers across the MWA, providing participants with a great first impression of Verizon’s influencer marketing program.
- Leveraged bloggers’ sphere of influence to stimulate positive conversation about Verizon on Twitter.
- Received device review requests from bloggers after each Google+ Hangout.
- Secured a guest appearance opportunity on a well-respected tech podcast.
- Generated original content for the Verizon MWA blog.